Wednesday 23 July 2014

A Clockwork Heart by Liesel Schwarz



Reviewed by Desere 

Forget about for better or worse, it's time to meet for better or curse! That is if you're Elle Chance and those are your wedding vows to your new husband, ex Warlock Hugh Marsh.

Not a pretty picture for any bride I can assure you! Elle devotes herself to her duties as the Oracle, who along has the power to keep designs of Shadow at bay. Marsh however finds himself missing the excitement of his former life as a warlock.

So between Elle keeping herself occupied and Marsh walking around in a I miss my life zombie state life for this couple seems pretty non adventurous. But then Commissioner Willoughby of the London Metropolitan police seeks his help in solving a magical mystery. Of course Marsh jumps at the chance to have some form of action in his life again, the catch . he loses his heart literally!

In place of the flesh and blood organ now is a clockwork device, the device makes Marsh a kind of zombie, and he's not the only one. A plague of clockwork zombies is taking over London causing quite the uproar and panic. Now don't forget we have poor Elle who is obviously as dutiful wife meant to do something to try and save her ill fated husband or is that heartless husband? Anyways she joins forces with Marsh's old friend the Nightwalker Loisa Beladodia to track down her husband's heart and restore it to his chest before the clock runs out.

This was my first time reading a book by this author and also my very first steampunk read. So of course I at first thought I was going to be a little lost seeing that I have no insight into the world of steampunk nor to mention that this read picks up from the first book.

I could not have been more wrong. The read played out very nicely and comes together with a fun and fast pace. I adored the whole heart missing replaced by a clock time is going to run out concept, it made for some truly entertaining reading material. I have read some other zombie related reads and it always seems like the same old story , zombie pops up is determined to destroy and gets defeated end of story, but in this read the thrill of the chase and the race against time elements made it so much more exhilarating to read.

What I disliked was the ending, oh my talk about my heart being ripped out, I cried so bad which I tell you I never thought would happen to me whist reading a book about zombies and magical devices. But of course I realize the author's intention , she is keeping us in suspense until she brings this magical world back to life in her next book.

I will also say that the battle's played out in this book in extremely vivid detail, it was as if I was right there seeing it happen, smelling the blood and feeling the fear, the author certainly knows how to send chills down my spine!

I am most certainly looking forward to the next book Liesel!

5/5 star review
" Heartless or gutless either way it's time to play. Game on! " 

Now available from Random Struik House South Africa 


No comments:

Post a Comment