Tuesday 16 February 2021

Sargasso

 Sargasso

Kathy George



Reviewed by Helen


Where do I start, what can I say? This is a compelling read, the author has pulled me in to this story, had me wondering and guessing as I tuned the pages and when I put it down it was on my mind. I loved the blurb when I read it and knew I wanted to read the book but it was nothing like I expected, although I am not sure what that was.

Hannah moved to Sargasso, a house her beloved father designed when she was five years old, a quiet child she was looking forward to living here she was in awe on arrival, she could almost feel it breathing almost as if the house had feelings of its own. It is not long before she meets a young boy named Flint and they become the best of friends, Hannah only wants to be with Flint and they do a lot of exploring, Flint is not very open about his life and no one else ever meets Flint but he promises that he will always look after her and Hannah learns not talk about him to anyone, she keeps him to herself.

After tragedy strikes the family, Hannah moves back to Melbourne and away from Sargasso and Flint, years pass by but Hannah never forgets Flint, she is happily working as a nurse and in a relationship with Tristan all is good but when her dear Gran passes away she is left Sargasso, not sure what she wants to do with the house she returns to spruce it up while she decides, and again she senses the aura of the house as she arrives just as she did when she first arrived all of those years ago, Tristan visits on the weekends but things are a little tense and then Flint arrives as a grown man and Hannah is lost to his overwhelming presence and realises that she has never stopped wanting to be with him, she is obsessed with him, as their relationship grows so too does Flints possessiveness and his jealousy and when there are a few strange occurrences Hannah starts to think about what is happening.

This is such a mystifying story for me, I didn’t know what was real at times and what was not, it was gripping and captivating and dark, I do know that it is a story that will stay with me for a long time to come, a story filled with secrets, tragedy and a deep, deep love that became obsessive and caused pain for some people, an emotional story. I was feeling lots of different emotions while reading this one Kathy George certainly wrote a story that I do highly recommend, the story is still churning around in my mind.

Thank you to Harlequin HQ Fiction for my copy to read and review

4 stars

Published February 1st 2021 by HQ Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment